Our PTA Mission Statement
The Beacon Hill International School PTA is dedicated to promoting the educational excellence, health, and welfare of all students and their families through advocacy, community-building, and enrichment programs. We are committed to creating leaders and lifetime learners.
The BHIS PTA is open to all interested parents and teachers who want to work together to promote the education, health, and welfare of all students and their families. We hold four community meetings a year and our board – a group of dedicated volunteers – meets monthly to strategize and organize our work to support:
- Advocacy: Education funding, racial equity in education, ELL and Special Education interests
- Community-building: Celebrations, family nights, dance parties, picnics
- Enrichment: Guest teacher program, school supplies, after-school programs, library resources
Everyone is welcome to attend PTA community meetings and board meetings to learn about our school, support our teachers, and advocate for our students. Opportunities for involvement are always available.
Why Join the PTA?
- Get Informed – There’s no better way to know what’s happening at school.
- Tap into a Network – Meet other parents and get access to teachers and administrators.
- Speak Up – You can share ideas and concerns and more effectively drive positive changes.
- Be a Role Model – Demonstrate to your child the importance you place on education.
- Gain Appreciation – Teachers, staff, and other parents will appreciate all your help!
Please click here for a video of 10 myths about joining the PTA.
What the PTA Funds
More than 85% of the money we fundraise goes directly back to students and families for community building and enrichment activities, such as:
- Multimedia art instruction
- Library books
- l science materials
- After School Sports instruction
- Supply stipends for teachers and staff
- PE equipment for the gym
- Staff appreciation day
- Young Authors Day
- Library assistant
- 5th grade camp
- Community building events
- Chinese & Spanish instructional assistant teachers
- Extra Playground Supervisor
Our goal is to raise about $60,000 this year. Our two main fundraisers are the fall Read-A-Thon, when students read for most of the day in their pajamas, and the spring Walk-A-Thon, a fun, high-energy event where students walk or run for 20 minutes with their classmates.